Slow and Steady wins the Race

Monday, June 21, 2010

 Yaa Allaah, it seems like there are endless things to do within the next month. All seem to be less important than increasing my studies, which I have been lackadaisical about lately with this rapid fire of issues but I have to remain diligent and put the fire under my bottom and get it together; life is just getting in my way.

Alhamdulillaah, my current landlord is finally letting us out of our lease. After several inspections, multiple housing violations and phone calls to landlord/tenant affairs and housing code enforcement for the surmounting problems that have arisen and constantly happen within our home, we are moving out. I am no professional, but I think I have an eye for seeing damage in properties and ensuring that the place I am renting will be safe for both my children and myself. Well, I thought anyways... lol. Cosmetic fixes and bubble gum and duct tape repairs had me fooled! My entire basement is off limits because of mold, water leakage, pipe damage, water damage... argh! The list continues which of course acts as a domino effect for the rest of our home. No telling what next.

Do I think that the owners intentionally did this? Allaahu alim. I want to believe they didn't do this intentionally, but rather having lack of knowledge on the responsibility of how to upkeep a home, especially an older home, and with years of wear and tear; the home couldn't take it anymore. From mold in the basement, to constantly breaking pipes, broken dishwashers, non working fire alarms and a non-oven working oven (only the stove top worked), I began to feel like I was in my own rendition of "The Money Trap". I do know that through persistence (and the Mercy of Allaah) that we are now able to leave at the end of our lease. Which puts me into a mad rush because my lease ends when? .... June 30th! This may be extended to the end of July pending the owners decision but they have returned from India and are ready to move back into their home.

I can not begin to tell you how many open houses I have been to, and sadly enough, in an area where there are plenty of muslimeen but not enough munaqabah... finding a decent home is one of the most difficult tasks I have undertaken in quite a while. I'm usually met with a nice smile and an extension of the potential landlord's hand (and then following me having to explain to my greeter, if male, why I am refusing his handshake). Then I am left to cruise the premises because there are other potential renters whom they have to tend to... ones they are more likely to rent to... ones who look like them; unclothed, christian/jewish/atheist/etc. If the home is nice enough to move into, I leave my name, email and contact phone number, unfortunately and well rather unsurprising, no phone call or email. *sighs* qadr Allaahu wa maa shaa fa'ala. I know that Allaah is protecting my family from something that is harmful to us, that this is cause to turn closer to my Lord and seek His refuge, His assistance. I can not deny, however, that this entire process is extremely and terribly frustrating.

Yet and still we are pushing on and the blessing from Allaah, that we are being removed from an unhealthy situation is inspiration enough to continue looking! I have a few areas that I'm interested in and may have to broaden my scope a little, even if that means moving to a place a little less convenient. To sum it all up, we just want a safe and comfy place to call home... no matter how long it takes.

My children are of course less enthusiastic (as usual, why do I expect less) about moving. After a year of making friends and getting accustomed to this area, just outside of "deerlivenextdoorandeatyourgrass-ville" and "wakeuptorandomwildlifeinyourbackyard-town", they are both saddened and excited about this "new" chapter in their lives and look forward to new exploration and easier access to the city. Would they prefer I stayed in the same area? Probably... I just remind them (and myself first) to continuously make du'a, not forgetting the nihmah from Allaah by turning to Him and when I come across difficulty to make istikhara before making any huge decision.

Well back to craigslist, washington post, homesdatabase, long and foster, washington times, gazette, trulia, oodle.......

0 comments:

 
Humbled Opinions © 2012 | Designed by Bubble Shooter, in collaboration with Reseller Hosting , Forum Jual Beli and Business Solutions